Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Intro to Me - A Forgiven Cheater



Everyone hates a cheater, don't they?

That's the popular consensus anyway. You've got television shows like Cheaters, which sensationalize the act of catching someone in the act of cheating. There are also shows like Maury, and Springer that make a complete voyeuristic, carnival-esque, and humiliating display of revealing secrets such as cheating/affairs for the sickening entertainment of the masses.

What about the staggering numbers that seem to come out in popular statistics? An article in the Washington Post reveals numbers from a 1991 study - 1991 (before the internet was accessible - before cheating and hook-up apps were invented) - that claims over 70% of married people have cheated.

That number is heartbreaking.

Cheating is heartbreaking - not only for the person who has been cheated on, but also for the unfaithful person. There is a momentary thrill, followed by a lifetime of regret, sorrow, self-loathing, and disgust.

I know. I've been married for over 21 years. I've also cheated on my wife several times.

She knows.

I confessed everything to her in the office of a counselor.

My goal at the time? I wanted to crush her, wound her, hurt her, and cause her to hate me. I wanted her to give me the same kinds of reactions I'd seen on all of the aforementioned television shows. I didn't deserve grace. I didn't deserve forgiveness.

She forgave me. She prayed for me. She continued to love me.

We are a modern-day picture of the story of Hosea and Gomer.

This blog is my story. It will lead you through the history of how I became a person who forsake his marital vows, nearly destroyed his family, experienced grace and forgiveness, and now has a beautifully restored marriage.

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your positive feedback.
    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - got your email. Starting to read from the beginning. Your story needs to be told - thanks for your courage. Nina @ Ruby for Women

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have anger , forgive is part of the stage but cant forget is all because the man never admit and stand on the other side

    ReplyDelete